[users] rpmforge-extras

Yury V. Zaytsev yury at shurup.com
Sun Nov 14 13:50:19 CET 2010

On Sun, 2010-11-14 at 13:17 +0100, Nils Breunese (Lemonbit) wrote:

> Today I encountered an rpmforge-release update, which adds the
>  rpmforge-extras repo in /etc/yum.repos.d/rpmforge.repo. Is there some
>  announcement somewhere about this change which explains the idea
>  behind the split?

This is the result of ongoing discussions to make RPMForge base-clean
and repoclosure-clean. In the nutshell, the repository is going to be
divided into 3 parts:

- Base repo that doesn't replace base packages
- Extras repo that DOES replace base packages
- Buildsys repo to satisfy build-time base replacing deps

It totally makes sense that anything apart from base is disabled by
default.

No announcement has been made so far, because the migration is not
complete as of yet.

> * I noticed that rpmforge-extras repository is not enabled by default
>  and that the rpmforge-release package is only available in
>  rpmforge-extras.

This sounds like a metadata builder bug. The package itself is fine.

> * I can't find subversion nor mod_dav_svn in either repository (checked
>  for EL4-i386). Will they be back?

Well, the old ones were cleaned already because of CVE's I guess and new
one doesn't build because of illegal macro substitutions + unresolved
ruby deps for ruby bindings.

This can be worked around and the whole package is asking for a revamp,
but I don't have time AND build host to debug it, so hopefully someone
else will take care of this.

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev