[users] clamav-db

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Wed Nov 17 12:28:22 CET 2010

Hi folks.

Just upgraded to clamav 0.96.4 and found clamav-db is still providing .cvd
files. AFAIK clamav has moved to .cld files for a while now. As I
understand the .cvd files are compressed and may still be fine for
starting a fresh install. It seems that clamav either ignores these files
or finds that they are older than the update and doesn't unpack them. No
harm is done. So, for an existing install with updates it's just dead
payload. I've seen reports (some months ago) about problems with mixing
both file types in an installation, though.
I've removed the files now after the upgrade. But I'm wondering if there
is a way to stop this unnecessary database "update" somehow thru the
packaging, so that there is no need to fetch database bytes that are not
used, anyway.

Kai