[users] clamav-db

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Wed Nov 17 13:23:52 CET 2010

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010, Dag Wieers wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Nov 2010, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
>
>>  Just upgraded to clamav 0.96.4 and found clamav-db is still providing .cvd
>>  files. AFAIK clamav has moved to .cld files for a while now. As I
>>  understand the .cvd files are compressed and may still be fine for
>>  starting a fresh install. It seems that clamav either ignores these files
>>  or finds that they are older than the update and doesn't unpack them. No
>>  harm is done. So, for an existing install with updates it's just dead
>>  payload. I've seen reports (some months ago) about problems with mixing
>>  both file types in an installation, though.
>>  I've removed the files now after the upgrade. But I'm wondering if there
>>  is a way to stop this unnecessary database "update" somehow thru the
>>  packaging, so that there is no need to fetch database bytes that are not
>>  used, anyway.
>
> Thanks for the feedback, Kai. You are indeed correct that we should be
> shipping .cld files.

Looking at the SPEC file, I see the ClamAV project still shipping (and
installing) the .cvd files. So somehow I wonder what the purposes of this
is. I cannot update the .cvd files or import .cld files from the
build-process as the build-process is not allowed to access
network-resources (for security reasons).

Do you know how a packager is supposed to do this ?

PS On the internal clamav packaging list there have been discussions
regarding not including the virus database as part of the tarball. But I
still prefer to have a clamav-db package for offline installation/usage.