[users] scons for x86_64

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 19:49:31 CEST 2011

2011/8/28 Germán Andrés Pulido <g-pulido at gmx.net>:
> Hi
>
> On 08/28/2011 05:14 AM, Dag Wieers wrote:
>
> On Wed, 24 Aug 2011, Germán Andrés Pulido wrote:
>
> It seems there is no package "scons" for 64 bits, but there is for 32 bits:
>
> scons 1.2.0 is a noarch package and as a consequence it is in both 32bit and
> 64bit repositories.
>
> If you are reporting this for RHEL6, you may be confused about the fact that
> it is part of Repoforge Extras. Probably you have Extras enable on 32bit,
> but not on 64bit.
>
> I'm reporting this on CentOS 6.0. Since RHEL has scons, then I don't know
> why CentOS doesn't. Maybe it was included only since RHEL 6.1? if so, then I
> will just wait for CentOS 6.1 and get scons. If not, please tell me so I can
> report a bug on CentOS bug tracker (RHEL having scons by default and not
> CentOS is a bug AFAIK)
>
> That said, since a newer scons (2.0.1) ships with RHEL6, there's no need for
> us to maintain this package for RHEL6. Not sure why it's not simply disabled
> for RHEL6.

Or switch to Scientific Linux, which has had its 6.1 release out since
July. The delays on CentOS releases, and their unwillingness or
inability to even hint at release dates or to publish individual
updates without the full new point released per their demanding
standards and pretty closed release process have become a very real
problem in using it as a RHEL equivalent: CentOS 5.6 and 6.0 took way,
way, way too long and left me professionally embarrassed for using
CentOS. I've switched to Scientificic Linux for my own personal
systems when I can't afford licenses, and it works very well.

The integration of 3rd party repositories such as adobe, elrepo, epel,
and rpmforge alone saves me enough work to justify the switch. It's
also pretty easy to do in place: Since "sl6" comes after "c6" in the
alphabet, simply replacing the "centos-release" package with the
"sl-release" package and running "yum update" update does most of the
difficult work.