[users] yum-updatesd for CentOS 6

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 02:30:13 CET 2011

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 7:37 AM, Gerd v. Egidy <lists at egidy.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> >From the 6.1 Technical Notes[0]:
>>    Enhancements:
>>
>>    BZ#602149
>>    This update extends yum functionality by adding yum-cron
>>    package. It provides automatic background system updates with no
>>    user intervention and replaces the outdated yum-updatesd package.
>>
>> There is no yum-updatesd package in CentOS 6, following upstream.
>
> "upstream" means RHEL in this case, not Fedora. They dropped yum-updatesd and
> replaced it with with the inferior yum-cron.
>
> In case of RHEL all this yum stuff doesn't really matter because you'll use
> the RHEL update tools like satellite.

I found satellite to be unusable for modest environments. The
interface was very slow and unscriptable for our favorite upstream
vendor's GUI, and investing in the Oracle database to run spacewalk
locally was unconscionably expensive for even midsize environments.
Coupled with the slow installation process and update downloading over
thin network pipes for small clusters, it was unusable.

The key elements of spacewalk like tools for me were package
management. That's what the various other monitoring tools are for.

> But for CentOS this matters. PackageKit isn't really an option for a managed
> server setup and not everyone needs spacewalk when yum-updatesd does the job.
>
> So I propose to include it in rf that all users who like to use yum-updatesd
> have an easy way to install it.
>
> Kind regards,

Why? yum-cron, on a *nightly* basis, can do very similar work and not
interfere in the middle of the day with other 'yum" based operations.