[users] Request and a bug: gksu

Todd And Margo Chester toddandmargo at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 21:35:40 CEST 2011

On 06/06/2011 01:18 PM, Yury V. Zaytsev wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 11:47 -0700, Todd And Margo Chester wrote:
>
>> Why?  What am I missing?  Older code is harmful, why?  SL6
>> is all out-of-date anyway.  What harm does one more out-of-date
>> app cause amongst the thousands of other out-of-date apps?
>> No dependencies were added.  I do not get it.  Please educate me.
> I consider this too basic Linux knowledge, to be elaborated on this
> list. The keywords are "linking", "ABI / API compatibility", "rpm
> versions" etc. Otherwise see Jim's comprehensive reply.
>
> You *might* get away with mixing packages *sometimes*, but at other
> times, it can cause anything in between software malfunctioning and
> catastrophic data loss. And very certainly, it is a bad idea for
> anything security related, such as gksu.
Hi Yury,

    Thank you for your patience with me over my misunderstanding.
I am still stuck on if it  is a security hazard in el6, why is it not also a
security hazard in el5?  I presume that the dependencies in the RPM
would take care of anything that is different.   The code itself is
still the code itself -- the code has not changed.  If it is safe in one,
it should be safe in the other.  I am clearly not getting your point.

-T