[users] Leaf pad and gksu

Todd And Margo Chester toddandmargo at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 21:19:50 CEST 2011

Hi All,

I am not finding a place to report this minor bug at
http://tarot.freeshell.org/leafpad/,
so please forgive me if I am reporting this in the wrong place:

$ yum whatprovides leafpad
leafpad-0.8.9-1.el5.rf.i386 : Simple graphical text editor
Repo        : rpmforge

If I run Leafpad from the command line as root, it works perfectly.

If I run Leafpad from gksu, I get a gray box, no pull down menus, nothing.

           gksu -u root "/usr/bin/leafpad"

The hang is removed if you give leaf pad a parameter:
           gksu -u root "/usr/bin/leafpad X"

But, the top of the window gets labeled "X"

The following work around gives "untitled" on the top:

           gksu -u root "echo "" | /usr/bin/leafpad"

I do not have this problem running other programs with gksu.
Have reproduces this under CentOS 5.6 32 bit and SL6 64 bit.

Many thanks,
-T