[users] 64 bit flash-plugin and 64 bit Firefox question

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Thu Jun 9 02:40:13 CEST 2011

On Wed, 8 Jun 2011, Todd And Margo Chester wrote:

> On 06/08/2011 02:01 PM, Bill McGonigle wrote:
>> On 06/08/2011 03:07 PM, Todd And Margo Chester wrote:
>>
>>> So, not ask too stupid a question and face the slings and
>>> arrows of such, but how does one get rpmforge's 64 bit
>>> flash-plugin to work with 64 bit Firefox?
>> This is rather generic, I don't have your combination of versions, but on my machines I have a symlink:
>>
>> lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 41 May 13 11:20 /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so ->  /usr/lib64/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so
>>
>> which seems to do the trick.
>
> I tried both the link and the actual code.  Got ignored by both.  The
> nspluginwrapper
> (may have that mis-spelled) thing did not help either.  It is like FF is
> ignoring everything
> in /usr/lib64/mozilla.
>
> :'(
>
> What edition/whose edition of Firefox are you using?

Normally, you simply have to install the package and it should work.
Unless you have done manual modifications (eg. added some other plugin(s)
in your home directory or other locations).

The RPM package ships with a tool called
'/usr/lib/flash-plugin/homecleanup' and a tool called
'/usr/lib/flash-plugin/setup'. You could try running those, but they may
not 'undo' whatever modifications you did by hand.

You may want to look at all the various Firefox and Mozilla plugin
directories and remove anything already there. Then reinstall the RPM
package and optionally re-run homecleanup and/or setup.

Hope that helps ?