[users] EPEL

Yury V. Zaytsev yury at shurup.com
Sat Jun 25 21:32:33 CEST 2011

On Fri, 2011-06-24 at 19:18 +0100, Lucian wrote:

> How do we fix divergent development?

This question is in a very same vein as asking why would we have 5 major
car platform manufacturers producing mutually incompatible products,
which results in the duplication of the engineering efforts instead of
having one worldwide meta-manufacturer, that would produce the most
advanced car platforms in a truly efficient way.

Do you have an answer for that already?

> Problem is EPEL has become the de-facto extra repo for EL, however one
> cannot have a proper desktop/workstation without Dag/RF, but combining
> them causes headaches which really should not exist, it's the only
> major distro out there with this problem...

It would be nice to have a meta-project or a VCS to share the SPEC files
in a much as it is possible, as well as to have some common packaging
guidelines etc., but this is a huge administrative and coordination
effort and we are all overly busy people...

> Personally I was hoping an EPEL compatible build of RPMfusion, which
> didn't happen.

Did you contribute to this happening in any form?

On Fri, 2011-06-24 at 19:07 +0100, Lucian wrote:

> Is this EPEL's official position (because it sounds too good to be
> true) on the matter?

I don't think your irony is justified.

I am very sure that EPEL people are no more interested in intentionally
breaking the compatibility with other repositories to cause the trouble
to the users than we are.

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev