[users] [OT] Analogies to "governance, " not so much "manufacturer" -- WAS: EPEL

Yury V. Zaytsev yury at shurup.com
Sun Jun 26 19:46:23 CEST 2011

On Sun, 2011-06-26 at 05:07 -0700, Bryan J Smith wrote:

> Maybe it's because I'm a Libertarian-thinking American engineer, but I do not
> believe that is an accurate analogy.  Yes, I'm nitpicking ...  ;)

I didn't mean to construct an accurate analogy. I wanted to point out
that "divergent development" exists just about everywhere outside of the
packaging world and there isn't always a way or even the need to fix
it.

> However, focusing on co-existence and compatibility is a worthwhile
> endeavor, even if the governance is not shared.

I think I was very explicit in my message, that packagers both behind
RepoForge and EPEL are interested in staying interoperable.

> I've been a lurker for years on this list, and I assist others off-list and
> privately precisely because individual like yourself enjoy questioning me
> on-list.  Learned that years from the CentOS list.  ;)

It seems to me that somehow you've got it all wrong: assisting others
on-list is welcome and in fact is the purpose of this list, whereas
verbose off-topic discussions are not.

Therefore, I'd also appreciate the follow-up conversations on this topic
would taking place where they are more appropriate.

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev