[users] [OT] Analogies to "governance, " not so much "manufacturer" -- WAS: EPEL

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Mon Jun 27 15:07:54 CEST 2011

You've always thought outside-the-box and too far ahead of a lot of people (and
I say this as the sincerest form of complement).

I've watched the Fedora Project's evolution over many years and while you might
have not been a part of the team or list directly, there's no denying your work
and approaches has indirectly and even directly impacted the project over the
years.  I'm not afraid to say that in the least bit if anyone ever asks me, or
makes a statement about DAG, RPMforge, etc...

I mentioned Guidelines, Maintainer and Governance as a kind of "tri-fecta."
Back to my [counter-] analogy, it's more than just a choice (company) detail.
Different locales are trying to solve the same problems, and often use the same
guidelines (industry) and sources (companies) as other locales, but the
maintenance and governance differences end up making all the difference.  In
other words, I've never seen it as a technical issue.

Just my observations, as a purposeful outsider to both RPMforge and Fedora/EPEL,
even if annoying to many.  ;)