[users] Puppet RPMs from yum.puppetlabs.com vs. Repoforge

Yury V. Zaytsev yury at shurup.com
Thu Oct 13 22:45:39 CEST 2011

On Thu, 2011-10-13 at 15:48 -0400, Philip Durbin wrote:

> I'm curious if anyone is using the new puppet-2.7 specs you're
> committing.

I really have no idea :-) I can only tell you that I am.

> Then I started using the RPMs from
> http://tmz.fedorapeople.org/repo/puppet/

I also considered this as an option, but Todd is not updating the
packages, because he is waiting for SELinux fixes to make into RHEL 6.2
and I need the latest fixes for the really annoying show-stopper 2.6.x /
2.7.x bugs right now.

> and now I'm using the ones from http://yum.puppetlabs.com .

When I learned about this option I really didn't like how it's
implemented. It seems that these repos are not considered 'official'
enough so that they are not even mentioned on the download page.

For instance, the packages used to lag behind the releases, were not
signed, the layout was changing etc. Besides, these are basically the
SPECs from Todd bumped to the latest version which I can also do myself.

> Anyway, your specs aren't hurting me, but I suspect the Puppet
> community would do well to use the yum repo from Puppet Labs.
> Maybe this thread can just serve as an FYI of its existence.

When the dust settles down and they end up providing an official
reliable source for quality packages for both old-stable and stable
branches, why not? Hopefully it will, then I will eventually stop
updating my packages and rather cherry-pick theirs instead.

For now we are still not there and because you can't easily upgrade from
version to version anyway, using their packages for me is more trouble
than maintaining them myself.

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev