[users] [Suggestion] Subversion 1.7

Yury V. Zaytsev yury at shurup.com
Sat Oct 22 13:01:41 CEST 2011

On Sat, 2011-10-22 at 01:49 -0400, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 6:59 PM, Brandon Ooi <brandono at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> > I was wondering if we could see a new build of subversion 1.7. I don't
> > believe it to be substantially different than subversion 1.6 and it does
> > seem like the requirements have not changed.
>
> They're substantial. I've actually got the structure tested for
> release candidates.

I am afraid this is not going to happen soon unless someone contributes
a working / tested patch. We're all really overloaded at the moment.

> It's also dangerous in a mixed environment, much as 1.6 and 1.6 were,
> because a working copy, once upgraded, is unusable with the old
> software.

It seems that now upgrade is a manual step and un-upgraded working
copies can still be used with 1.6- in the future, so we shouldn't really
worry about that:

Upgrading the Working Copy

Subversion 1.7 introduces substantial changes to the working copy
format. In previous releases of Subversion, Subversion would
automatically update the working copy to the new format when a write
operation was performed. Subversion 1.7, however, will make this a
manual step. Before using Subversion 1.7 with their working copies,
users will be required to run a new command, svn upgrade to update the
metadata to the new format.

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev