[users] [Suggestion] Subversion 1.7

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 17:19:31 CEST 2011

On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 7:01 AM, Yury V. Zaytsev <yury at shurup.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-10-22 at 01:49 -0400, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 6:59 PM, Brandon Ooi <brandono at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi guys,
>> > I was wondering if we could see a new build of subversion 1.7. I don't
>> > believe it to be substantially different than subversion 1.6 and it does
>> > seem like the requirements have not changed.
>>
>> They're substantial. I've actually got the structure tested for
>> release candidates.
>
> I am afraid this is not going to happen soon unless someone contributes
> a working / tested patch. We're all really overloaded at the moment.
>
>> It's also dangerous in a mixed environment, much as 1.6 and 1.6 were,
>> because a working copy, once upgraded, is unusable with the old
>> software.
>
> It seems that now upgrade is a manual step and un-upgraded working
> copies can still be used with 1.6- in the future, so we shouldn't really
> worry about that:
>
> Upgrading the Working Copy
>
> Subversion 1.7 introduces substantial changes to the working copy
> format. In previous releases of Subversion, Subversion would
> automatically update the working copy to the new format when a write
> operation was performed. Subversion 1.7, however, will make this a
> manual step. Before using Subversion 1.7 with their working copies,
> users will be required to run a new command, svn upgrade to update the
> metadata to the new format.

Well, *that's* a change.

I tried to upload my working patches to Comcast's user website, and
went slightly nuts with the bad interface. Does anyone have a semi
public FTP upload I can drop an SRPM or patch list in for access to
our repo owners?

I also believe that 1.7.1 just got tagged, but I have a day job and am
not going after that yet.