[users] Subversion 1.6.17 srpm tools, for RHEL 4/5/6 compatible 1.6.x releases

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 13:20:34 CEST 2012

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 4:46 AM, David Hrbáč <david-lists at hrbac.cz> wrote:

> Dne 5.4.2012 04:18, Nico Kadel-Garcia napsal(a):
> > RHEL 4 hasn't had a public Subversion update in a long time, and for
> > good reasons. (It's hard!)
> >
> > I've taken some of Mike Brauer's work, some Repoforge work, and tied
> > it to my Fedora 16 backport work I was pursuing before Subversion 1.7
> > was released, and come up with.....
> >
> >      https://github.com/nkadel/subversion-1.6.17-srpm
> >
> > The tools, not the tarballs, are all present there to build clean
> > SRPM's and RPM's for Repoforge compatibility.
> >
> > Enjoy, and let me know if I can help get it into Repoforge. It's
> > particularly helpful for people who want a clean Subverrion to help
> > migrate *OFF* of RHEL 4.
> >

> Nico,
> Maybe I don't just get it right. I guess we can stop to support EL3/EL4.
> Are there any issues with the old version? BTW repo seems to be empty.
> DH

Thanks, I just fixed that. (Pushed to the wrong upstream).

The last Red Hat published subversion for RHEL 4 was 1.1.4. That lacks
really important features, such as the "ask before storing local passwords
in cleartext" feature of 1.6, serious performance upgrades, Unicode log
handling, and it lacks very useful "svn checkout --force" option so useful
to purhing a Subversion working copy onto an existing directory. It also
lacks the new svn:externals syntax, and has fallen so far off the support
tree it makes me weep when I have to use it.

I use the "svn checkout --force" option for things like Nagios
configurations, yum configuraitons, and BIND with chroot cages to set up on
new servers. (I'm actually planning on presenting on that last one at
svnday in Berlin this summer.)  A newer Subversoin is also really,
really useful if you have working copies in NFS on RHEL 5 or RHEL 6, and
you'd like to be able to use or manipulate the same working copy on RHEL 4.
*THAT* is really useful for helping migrate off of RHEL 4, which is now
only supported with an "extended" contract, but getting people off of
obsolete operating systems seems to have been a major hobby of mine for....
dang... 24 years.