[users] dependency problems in with vlc

Bashford, Donald Don.Bashford at stjude.org
Thu Dec 13 01:06:13 CET 2012

At Sun, 9 Dec 2012 16:17:15 -0600,
Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 4:32 PM, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg
> <Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg at imag.fr> wrote:
> > Bashford, Donald wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm running CentOS 6.0 and recently installed repoforge by downloading
> >> rpmforge-release-0.5.2-2.el6.rf.x86_64.rpm and installing it by:
>
> I detect an issue right there. Run "yum check-update" first, there are
> a *lot* of basic system components that have updated since CentOS 6.0
> came out. And I've lost track, here, of what "yum repolist" says for
> Donald here. But mixing and matching between EPEL, RPMforge, and
> ATrpms can be an adventure in component conflicts without careful
> juggling, especially if "rpmforge-extras" is enabled. I used to run
> into this with Nagios and "nagios-plugins" all the time.

Okay, I've done "yum update" which brings me up to to CentOS
6.3. But I still have the same problems with vlc.

The repos used were mostly base and updates, with just a few
items coming from epel and only puppet coming from rpmforge.

My repos, as reported by "yum repolist" are:

adobe-linux-i386 Adobe Systems Incorporated                                   17
base             CentOS-6 - Base                                            6346
elrepo           ELRepo.org Community Enterprise Linux Repository - el     206+3
epel             Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 6 - x86_64         7724+105
extras           CentOS-6 - Extras                                             4
graphviz-stable  Graphviz - RHEL 6 - x86_64                                 6+25
rpmforge         RHEL 6 - RPMforge.net - dag                           3201+1256
sjcrh            SJCRH local packages for Enterprise Linux 6 - x86_64        166
updates          CentOS-6 - Updates                                          496

Priorities seem to be 1 for base and updates and sjcrh (our
institutions stuff), 2 for extras 3 for epel and graphviz, 4 for
elrepo. There is no priority spec for rpmforge.

This looks to me like a packaging problem. The vlc package on rpmforge
seems to want OLD versions of some .so files, but my versions are
newer. E.g.:

yum install vlc

  [....]
  Error: Package: vlc-1.1.13-1.el6.rf.x86_64 (rpmforge)
             Requires: libmodplug.so.0()(64bit)
  [....]

locate libmodplug.so

  /usr/lib64/libmodplug.so.1
  /usr/lib64/libmodplug.so.1.0.0

And no package provides libmodplug.so.0. This seems to me like a
problem with the packaging of the vlc rpm.

-Don

Consultation Disclaimer:  www.stjude.org/consultationdisclaimer