[users] dependency problems in with vlc

Nicolas Thierry-Mieg Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg at imag.fr
Thu Dec 13 09:03:45 CET 2012

Bashford, Donald wrote:
> At Sun, 9 Dec 2012 16:17:15 -0600,
> Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 4:32 PM, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg
>> <Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg at imag.fr> wrote:

>> I detect an issue right there. Run "yum check-update" first, there are
>> a *lot* of basic system components that have updated since CentOS 6.0
>> came out. And I've lost track, here, of what "yum repolist" says for
>> Donald here. But mixing and matching between EPEL, RPMforge, and
>> ATrpms can be an adventure in component conflicts without careful
>> juggling, especially if "rpmforge-extras" is enabled. I used to run
>> into this with Nagios and "nagios-plugins" all the time.
>
> Okay, I've done "yum update" which brings me up to to CentOS
> 6.3.

that's good.

> But I still have the same problems with vlc.
>
> The repos used were mostly base and updates, with just a few
> items coming from epel and only puppet coming from rpmforge.
>
> My repos, as reported by "yum repolist" are:
>
> adobe-linux-i386 Adobe Systems Incorporated                                   17
> base             CentOS-6 - Base                                            6346
> elrepo           ELRepo.org Community Enterprise Linux Repository - el     206+3
> epel             Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 6 - x86_64         7724+105
> extras           CentOS-6 - Extras                                             4
> graphviz-stable  Graphviz - RHEL 6 - x86_64                                 6+25
> rpmforge         RHEL 6 - RPMforge.net - dag                           3201+1256
> sjcrh            SJCRH local packages for Enterprise Linux 6 - x86_64        166
> updates          CentOS-6 - Updates                                          496
>
> Priorities seem to be 1 for base and updates and sjcrh (our
> institutions stuff), 2 for extras 3 for epel and graphviz, 4 for
> elrepo. There is no priority spec for rpmforge.

no priority means lowest priority (ie 99 I think).

So, EPEL for example has higher priority than repoforge...

> This looks to me like a packaging problem. The vlc package on rpmforge
> seems to want OLD versions of some .so files, but my versions are
> newer. E.g.:
>
> yum install vlc
>
>    [....]
>    Error: Package: vlc-1.1.13-1.el6.rf.x86_64 (rpmforge)
>               Requires: libmodplug.so.0()(64bit)
>    [....]
>
> locate libmodplug.so
>
>    /usr/lib64/libmodplug.so.1
>    /usr/lib64/libmodplug.so.1.0.0
>
> And no package provides libmodplug.so.0. This seems to me like a
> problem with the packaging of the vlc rpm.

wrong:

$ locate libmodplug.so
/usr/lib64/libmodplug.so.0
/usr/lib64/libmodplug.so.0.0.0
$ rpm -q libmodplug
libmodplug-0.8.7-1.el6.rf.x86_64

So, as I suggested in my first reply you have a conflict between repos:
you installed libmodplug from EPEL, it's the wrong version of the lib
for the RF vlc, and it's newer than the RF version so it's preventing
you from installing that correct version.

Solution 1: remove your current libmodplug, see what it pulls down as
deps, then make the RF priority better (smaller) than epel and try to
yum install vlc along with the other stuff that got removed when you
removed the epel libmodplug...
Solution 2: use a VLC from another repo that likes the epel version of
libmodplug.

Bottom line: be careful when mixing several 3rd party repos,
particularly if they are large multi-purpose repos like RF, epel, AT...