[users] yum-updatesd for CentOS 6

Yury V. Zaytsev yury at shurup.com
Thu Jan 12 16:22:34 CET 2012

Hi Claire,

Long time no see...

On Mon, 2011-12-05 at 16:22 -0800, C.M. Connelly wrote:

> It doesn't look like yum-cron is a real replacement for
> yum-updatesd, as it won't actually install the updates for you.

I've also realized that upstream dropped yum-updatesd in 6.1 this fall,
but on the other hand it didn't disappoint me all that much, since I'm
using RHN for the RHEL6 hosts and SL6 for the rest.

Apparently Troy or Conny noticed this problem during the beta and added
a package called 'yum-autoupdate' which contains a set of scripts that
can periodically check for updates and install them with temporal spread
also supported.

I highly recommend you to have a look... obviously, now it's also gonna
work for CentOS.

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev