[users] dep solving problems with CentOS 6.2

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Thu Jan 26 19:47:06 CET 2012

On 01/26/2012 06:25 PM, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:
> Dag Wieers wrote:
>> On Thu, 26 Jan 2012, Rob Kampen wrote:
>>> Just did another try and found that I had epel version of libmodplug
>>> installed due to qmmp player installed - removed these and all went well.
>>> Another case of where yum-priorities does not do an adequate job.
>>
>> There's still an open issue wrt. libmodplug:
>>
>>        https://github.com/repoforge/rpms/issues/20
>>
>> Fixing this might make Repoforge work with EPEL (for this specific case),
>> but the impact of updating libmodplug is big. Especially it would require
>> us to recompile older vlc packages, which is quite timeconsuming.
>>
>> Or we could just drop older vlc builds on RHEL5 and older, of course...
>>

> FWIW, if compatibility with EPEL for this particular issue at this
> particular point in time comes at the cost of no more updates to vlc and
> probably other packages on RHEL5: I vote for not updating libmodplug so
> we can still have the occasional update to EL5 packages.
> I take care of several home systems still running centos 5, and updates
> to multimedia stuff is often welcome! And there will always be
> incompatibilities with EPEL anyways (what happens if epel decides to
> update libmodplug again in a month?).

Isn't there option to use condition EL5 or El6 in spec file? When you
build, you are building in four environments, el5-i386, el5-x86_64, and
el5-i686, el6-x86_64. What would be the downside of this, to condition
that if El5 is use, BuildRequires and Requires = older libmodplug, and
if you build for EL6, BuildRequires and Requires = libmodplug?

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...