[users] dep solving problems with CentOS 6.2

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Thu Jan 26 23:13:14 CET 2012

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:

> Dag Wieers wrote:
>> On Thu, 26 Jan 2012, Rob Kampen wrote:
>>> Just did another try and found that I had epel version of libmodplug
>>> installed due to qmmp player installed - removed these and all went well.
>>> Another case of where yum-priorities does not do an adequate job.
>>
>> There's still an open issue wrt. libmodplug:
>>
>>       https://github.com/repoforge/rpms/issues/20
>>
>> Fixing this might make Repoforge work with EPEL (for this specific case),
>> but the impact of updating libmodplug is big. Especially it would require
>> us to recompile older vlc packages, which is quite timeconsuming.
>>
>> Or we could just drop older vlc builds on RHEL5 and older, of course...
>>

> FWIW, if compatibility with EPEL for this particular issue at this
> particular point in time comes at the cost of no more updates to vlc and
> probably other packages on RHEL5: I vote for not updating libmodplug so
> we can still have the occasional update to EL5 packages.
> I take care of several home systems still running centos 5, and updates
> to multimedia stuff is often welcome! And there will always be
> incompatibilities with EPEL anyways (what happens if epel decides to
> update libmodplug again in a month?).
>
> just my opinion.

No, the problem is that newer vlc's do no longer build on RHEL5, since the
graphical toolkit on RHEL5 is quite dated and unsupported. I can easily
create a non-gui vlc, but that would be a no-go for most end-users. So you
won't see a newer vlc on RHEL5, ever :-(

Fact is that if I would update libmodplug on RHEL5, the old vlc needs to
be rebuild, which is always a risky business. It might work with all newer
library updates, but that is never guaranteed.

So in this (hypothetical, but realistic) case one solution is to only
update libmodplug on RHEL6, which may not fix the compatibility with
EPEL.

PS Today I rebuilt the old mplayer against a new library (libvdpau) and it
still built fine. Updating mplayer once again may be a lot of effort :-/