[users] Repoforge is collaborating on Github

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 15:06:40 CET 2012

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 4:57 AM, Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just a heads up to everyone that a lot of collaboration is ongoing on
> Github. Github simplifies requesting package updates, contributing new
> packages and discussing specific issues and fixes.
>
> The great thing about Github is that everyone can become a contributor, so
> there are no specific permissions you need to dive into a SPEC file, fix
> an issue and make a pull-request.
>
> The advantage for us is that we can discuss a specific change where it is
> proposed, merge a change with one button, structure issues, etc... without
> any overhead. No more need to transfer patches, give people access, manage
> infrastructure, track mails, and the best of all, everything is wide open,
> no walls or curtains, anyone is welcome.
>
> So if you were hesitating to contribute, try our Github space and make
> yourself useful ;-)
>
>        http://github.com/repoforge

This looks good: I'm trying to get set up for that myself.

If you do this, please *do* protect your SSH keys better than most
people do. There's nothing like somebody stealing your old passphase
key from an NFS share or a backup, or hanging onto a borrowed key and
password, to permit someone else to corrupt your public source code.
Been there, done that, though I've not heard of it happening at
github.