[users] vlc 1.1.13 rpm segfaults

Todd And Margo Chester toddandmargo at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 02:47:17 CET 2012

On 03/16/2012 05:15 PM, Skunk Worx wrote:
> I have the following rpm installed on my scientific linux 6.x x86_64
> (rolling version) system.
>
> vlc-1.1.13-1.el6.rf.x86_64
>
> It started segfaulting after the SL 6.2 upgrade rolled out.
>
> $ `which vlc` foo.wmv
> VLC media player 1.1.13 The Luggage (revision exported)
> Warning: call to srand(1331943087)
> Warning: call to rand()
> Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_ADDRESS")
> Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_BUS_TYPE")
> [0x1ad5120] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use
> 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
> Blocked: call to setlocale(6, "")
> Warning: call to srand(1332654983)
> Warning: call to rand()
> Blocked: call to setlocale(6, "")
>
> (process:6049): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
> 	Using the fallback 'C' locale.
> Blocked: call to setlocale(6, "")
> Warning: call to rand()
> Segmentation fault
>
> If I strace it, the video plays and does not segfault.
>
> I am using the proprietary NVIDIA driver 295.20, not sure if it happens
> with nouveau.
>
> Regards,
> John

Hi John,

Mine does not segfault, but what a mess on the command line.
I got mine from ATRPMS, probably not the smartest move:

$ `which vlc` lotus.wav
VLC media player 1.1.13 The Luggage (revision exported)
Warning: call to srand(1331948646)
Warning: call to rand()
Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_ADDRESS")
Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_BUS_TYPE")
[0x13a3150] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use
'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
Blocked: call to setlocale(6, "")
Blocked: call to setenv("ORBIT_SOCKETDIR", "/tmp/orbit-tony", 1)
Warning: call to srand(1332293549)
Warning: call to rand()
Blocked: call to setlocale(6, "")

(process:2303): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
         Using the fallback 'C' locale.
Blocked: call to setlocale(6, "")
Warning: call to rand()
Warning: call to rand()
Warning: call to rand()

$ rpm -qi vlc
Name        : vlc                          Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 1.1.13                            Vendor: ATrpms.net
Release     : 74.el6                        Build Date: Tue 03 Jan 2012
11:01:46 PM PST
Install Date: Fri 13 Jan 2012 05:34:38 PM PST      Build Host:
flocki.atrpms.net
Group       : Applications/Multimedia       Source RPM:
vlc-1.1.13-74.el6.src.rpm
Size        : 38050223                         License: GPLv2
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Tue 03 Jan 2012 11:02:14 PM PST, Key ID
508ce5e666534c2b
Packager    : ATrpms <http://ATrpms.net/>
URL         : http://www.videolan.org/
Summary     : A free and cross-platform media player
Description :
VLC media player is a highly portable multimedia player for various
audio and video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, ogg, ...)
as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols.
It can also be used as a server to stream in unicast or multicast in
IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.
It doesn't need any external codec or program to work.