[users] [Fwd: RPMforge/Repoforge and Puppet]

Yury V. Zaytsev yury at shurup.com
Wed Nov 21 15:53:01 CET 2012

On Wed, 2012-11-21 at 14:33 +0000, Ian Young wrote:

> I only came across their repository after I sent you the original mail
> earlier today, so I haven't tried it yet.  My main concern would be
> whether they end up putting everything in the same place: in the
> "learning Puppet" VM, for example, they appear to drop everything
> into /etc/puppetlabs/puppet instead of just /etc/puppet.  I guess I
> could just try this on a clean VM and see, though; it may be to do
> with their Enterprise offering which I think is what's in that VM.

It would be nice if you could later share the results of your research!

Last time I looked at it, they were still doing something strange with
Puppet, but Facter packages were perfectly alright, and this was long
time ago, so things must have improved ever since.

> I'd also note that their repository only includes Fedora, RHEL 5 and
> RHEL 6; i.e., none of the older EL releases are covered.  I don't know
> how important that is these days (I happen to be on CentOS 5 and
> CentOS 6 so it would be fine for me personally).

Honestly, I don't even think it would run on RHEL4 due to various Ruby
dependencies, and in any case, it's in the extended life cycle now, so I
wouldn't call RHEL4 support a priority...

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev