[users] Unhide : Centos 6 X64

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Mon Jul 1 17:28:50 CEST 2013

On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 9:33 PM, Always Learning <repoforge at a8.u22.net>wrote:

> Perhaps I could when I can find the free time. I've never compiled
> anything on Linux so it would be nice to have a go and see what happens.
> However, my concern were someone on Centos 6 (applies to RH and SL too)
> with an 64-bit machine would get

Indeed.  Many times you can get into a situation where both the run-time
and, when different between 32-bit and Long Mode targets, the *-devel
package may differ.  Sometimes both may be installed, although sometimes
both are not provided.  There is also the environment and other
targeting/linking aspects.

Typically one wants to build a chroot build environment, a virtualized
host, etc...  The Fedora Build System handles this as well.  Makes it much
easier.

-- bjs