[users] ClamAV 0.98.1

Ben bda20 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Feb 4 10:06:31 CET 2014

On Tue, 4 Feb 2014, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:

> On 02/03/2014 09:51 PM, David Hrbáč wrote:

>>> Can you tell me why 0.98.1 creates a new user
>>>
>>>   clamav:x:496:497:Clam Anti Virus Checker:/var/clamav:/sbin/nologin
>>>
>>> as opposed to 0.98's
>>>
>>>   clam:x:497:498:Clam Anti Virus Checker:/var/lib/clamav:/sbin/nologin
>>>
>>> This has caused us some issues...
>>>
>>> Ben
>>
>> Ben,
>>
>> Package creates a user. It does not specify UID nor GID, see
>>
> https://github.com/repoforge/rpms/blob/b69e2f6ac5c334abf382bbc579d0ccc84ff9a8ff/specs/clamav/clamav.spec#L289.
>> See also the last commit diff, there's no change with the user:
>>
> https://github.com/repoforge/rpms/commit/b69e2f6ac5c334abf382bbc579d0ccc84ff9a8ff
>
> the username is different (clamav vs clam), as well as the homedir. OP,
> are you sure you didn't switch repos, eg between epel and rf?

Having consulted with some of the other admins here it appears that that
could indeed be the issue.  My apologies to David/Repoforge.  The 0.98 RPMs
were manually downloaded from EPEL (there was no epel.repo file in
/etc/yum.repos.d/), I added repoforge-updates.repo and what happened
happened.

Thanks for the solution/reason,

Ben