[users] perl-ExtUtils-MakeMaker

Rob Redpath rob.redpath at wwwh.com
Tue Feb 4 17:14:15 CET 2014

Thanks :) I completely agree - for preference I wouldn't be building
packages for CentOS 5 but right now I need to work with what I've got.

The weird thing is that there is a package of a suitable version of
ExtUtils::MakeMaker for el5
(perl-ExtUtils-MakeMaker-6.56-1.el5.rf.noarch.rpm) but it just doesn't
appear to be available in the actual repo. As a stop-gap I can just
download the RPM from pkgs.repoforge.org into my build env, but it's weird
that it's not appearing in the repo.

On 4 February 2014 11:58, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 9:24 AM, Rob Redpath <rob.redpath at wwwh.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm probably being an idiot, but I'm experiencing something odd with
> > perl-ExtUtils-MakeMaker. I'm building an RPM that needs a more recent
> > ExtUtils::MakeMaker than the one provided with my distribution (CentOS
> 5.9),
> > so I went searching for a suitable RPM, finding one on repoforge.
> However,
> > while the file exists on pkgs.repoforge.org (
> > http://pkgs.repoforge.org/perl-ExtUtils-MakeMaker/ ), it doesn't appear
> > be available through any of the repoforge repos for my distribution -
> > rpmforge, rpmforge-extras or rpmforge-testing. I've checked that it's
> not an
> > issue with my local yum installation - the package isn't present in the
> XML.
> >
> > What am I missing?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Rob
>
> CentOS 6? I'm not sure of the specific issues with this package, but
> it's very difficult to keep your CPAN modules up to date with the
> latest dependencies if you're working on a core OS that is 7 years
> old. It will eat an ever increasing amount of your time to try and
> keep Perl components updated. Been there, done that, got the
> consulting fees.
>
> Now, if you just need more recent contemporary packages for CentOS 6,
> I've got a build toolchain for RT 4 over at
> https://github.com/nkadel/rt4repobuilder/. A number of those
> components *do* upgrade built-in CentOS packages, so much of it would
> have to go in rpmforge-extras. much as I would expect
> perl-ExtUtils-MakeMaker to go there. But there's scertainly a working
> source package for perl-ExtUtils-Maker.

Rob Redpath BSc MA MBCS
Senior Systems Engineer
World Wide Web Hosting LLC